Rat Control & Removal
(804) 729-0046 or toll-free at (888) 824-7383
Rat Control, Removal, Trapping & Exterminators in Henrico, Glen Allen, Richmond, Midlothian & Charlottesville VA. Our Wildlife Control and Pest Control Technicians are experts in rat removal, control, capture, trapping, management, cleanups, extermination and rat exclusion techniques in the Richmond, Henrico, Charlottesville and Central Virginia areas. Not only do we get rid of rats, but we can seal and repair their entry points to keep these rodents out. We don’t provide free rat removal services, but you’ll find that our removal prices beat our competitors prices hands-down and our customers have consistently rated us as the areas top rated rat control company.
A Rat Is A Disgusting Rodent
Most people that have rats living in their home or outside their home are disgusted and feel dirty. The truth is even the cleanest homes can have rat problems. Rodents are opportunist and take advantage of available food and shelter.
Did you know that rats and mice in the Richmond, Henrico, and Charlottesville VA areas can spread over 35 diseases? These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine, or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent. Click here for additional information on Rat Diseases.
Diseases Spread By A Rat
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome: This is a viral disease that is transmitted by the rice rat. This disease is spread in one of three ways: inhaling dust that is contaminated with rat urine or droppings, direct contact with rat feces or urine, and infrequently due to the bite of rat.
- Leptospirosis: This is a bacterial disease that can be transmitted by coming into contact with infected water by swimming, wading or kayaking or by contaminated drinking water. Individuals may be at increased risk of Leptospirosis infections if they work outdoors or with animals.
- Rat-bite Fever: This disease may be transmitted through a bite, scratch or contact with a dead rat.
- Salmonellosis: Consuming food or water that is contaminated by rat feces bacteria can cause this disease.
- Plague: This disease is carried by rats and transmitted by fleas in the process of taking a blood meal. Domestic rats are the most common reservoir of plague.
- Colorado Tick Fever: This is a viral disease that is transmitted by the bite of a tick that has taken a blood meal from a bushy-tailed woodrat.
- Cutaneous Leishmaniasis: This disease is a parasite that is transmitted to a person by the bite of an infected sand fly that has fed on a wild woodrat.
Additional information on diseases can be found here
How to Get Rid of Rats
We hope to offers helpful suggestions on rodent control during and after a rodent infestation. The primary strategy for preventing human exposure to Rat Diseases is effective rodent control in and around the home. This is achieved by eliminating any food sources, sealing even the smallest entries into homes, and successfully removing the “resident” rats in and around the home by trapping or the use of commercial grade rodenticides. They can be difficult to get rid of even for the experts. Getting rid of them and the success of any rat control program depends on the expertise of the rat exterminators and the degree to which the home owner follows the advice and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Plan set out by the Virginia rat control professional. Click here to find more information on How To Get Rid Of Rats.
Rat Extermination Control Costs
We are often asked by potential customers about the cost for rat control. The fact is there is no one-price-fits-all method for rat control jobs in Richmond, Glen Allen, & Charlottesville. Each job is different, depending on these factors:
- Size of the house or building
- Condition of house, and the number of rat entry areas
- Severity of rat infestation
- Building location, roof and attic access, etc.
- Severity of rat contamination or damage
Each job is very different, and only an on-site inspection can determine the correct price for your specific Richmond rodent problem.
The Rat Removal Process
A complete rat removal and remediation process consists of these steps:
- An inspection of the exterior house or building to help identify potential rodent entry points
- An inspection of the attic space and crawlspace
- Inspection of all vents, plumbing pipes, A/C chases, etc
- Sealing shut all entry holes with professional grade repairs
- Setting rat traps on the precise areas of rat activity or using rodenticide as needed
- Monitoring of traps or bait stations and removal of dead rodents until all are gone
- Cleanup of rat waste and repair of damage
Rodent Control Richmond, Charlottesville & Central Virginia
We are an independent, family owned, and local rodent clean up and control company serving Richmond, Henrico, Midlothian, Charlottesville and surrounding areas in Central Virginia. Our focus is on helping residents live in a rat and mice free environment. Our services include rodent control, pest prevention, rodent removal and clean up, attic cleaning and attic decontamination and rodent proofing for your Richmond, Henrico, Midlothian or Charlottesville home. Our friendly staff is ready to serve in order to help you permanently solve your rodent issue. Let us do the dirty work, so you don’t have to. You’ll see why we are constantly voted the best rodent control company in the area.
Mice Can Be A Real Pest, But Rats Are Much Worse In Your Richmond & Charlottesville Home
Many people tend to immediately assume that they have a mice problem in their home, but there is also a chance that they actually have a rat infestation. Roof rats are often found in the attic, while Norways love to get into crawlspaces and often create burrows in your yard. Mice can be found living in attics, crawl spaces, kitchens or walls of your home. Most homeowners are unable to quickly and accurately identify which rodent may be living in their home. Without proper identification, your efforts at rat control and mouse removal may not be effective.
Finding the correct rat control company in Richmond or Charlottesville to handle your problem is the only chance that you have against a serious rat infestation.
A rodent control company like us have rat and mouse experts who will be able to quickly tell what type of animal you are dealing with and recommend a tailored approach by our rat exterminators to help solve your problem. Not only will this help with your current problem, but we can provide solutions to rat proof your home against future pest invasions.
Air Quality Is Affected By The Presence Of Rodents
A few months ago, a local news organization published reports about a rat invasion that has building occupants concerned in Richmond Virginia. The presence of so many rats has raised health fears for many people that work and visit the building.
According to news sources, the downtown area has recently experienced a typhus outbreak and an employee from the City Hall building is one of the unfortunate ones to become infected. The bacteria that cause typhus can be carried by fleas associated with rats and other rodents. Typhus isn’t the only concern caused by rodent infestations as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states, “Worldwide, rat and mice spread over 35 diseases. These diseases can be spread to humans directly, through handling of rodents, through contact with rodent feces, urine or saliva, or through rodent bites. Diseases carried by rodents can also be spread to humans indirectly, through ticks, mites or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.”
Allergic reactions are another health issue people often encounter when a building is invaded by rodents. It can be caused by touching areas or breathing air contaminated with rodent allergens. Exposure could even trigger an asthma attack in some people with the condition.
Most people do not recognize a rodent infestation until the situation has become extreme. To help identify rat and mouse allergens in offices, homes, schools, factories and other indoor locations, Richmond Testing offers environmental testing services for these and many other common indoor allergens. Simple tests can help to identify problems and provide building occupants who suffer from allergies and asthma the information they need to mitigate their exposure risks. These same indoor environmental tests can also be instrumental for helping to determine if these allergens and asthma triggers are still present after remediation efforts have taken place following an infestation.
While you may find out that you have a rodent problem because of the mess that they leave behind, it is often the air quality that makes people suffer the most. A rodent control expert from our Richmond service area will be able to discuss with you the hazards associated with rat and mice and help you determine how widespread the infestation is.
Virginia Professional Wildlife Removal Services is one of the best Richmond rodent control companies available in the industry. If you have a problem with rodents in your home or you want to make sure that your home is protected from an infestation in the future contact us today.
Call our Richmond and Charlottesville Rodent Control Company today for exceptional service.
Types of Rat in Richmond and Charlottesville
Norway Rat – The Norway rat, also referred to as common rat, street, sewer, Hanover, Brown, Brown Norway, Norwegian, or wharf rat (Rattus norvegicus) is one of the best known and most common species of rat in our area. It is one of the largest muroids, it is a brown or grey rodent with a body up to 25 cm (10 in) long, and a similar tail length; the male weighs on average 350 g (12 oz) and the female 250 g (9 oz). Thought to have originated in northern China, this rodent has now spread to all continents except Antarctica, and is the dominant rat in Europe and much of North America—making it by at least this particular definition the most successful mammal on the planet after humans. With rare exceptions, the brown rat lives wherever humans live, particularly in urban areas such as Richmond VA, Charlottesville VA, Roanoke VA and Fairfax VA. Click here for more information on Norway Rat.
Black Roof Rat – also known as the ship, roof, house, Alexandrine, & old English rat, and other names) is a common long-tailed rodent of the genre Rattus in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world. Black rats are generalist omnivores. They are serious pests to farmers as they eat a wide range of agricultural crops. Click here for additional information on Roof Rat.
- They take care of injured and sick members in their group.
- Without companionship they tend to become lonely and depressed.
- They have excellent memories. Once they learn a navigation route, they won’t forget it.
- When happy, they have been observed to chatter or grind their teeth. This is often accompanied by vibrating eyes.
- They make happy “laughter” sounds when they play.
- They succumb to peer-pressure, just like humans. Brown rats are prone to disregard personal experiences in order to copy the behavior of their peers. The urge to conform is so strong that they will even choose to eat unpalatable food if they are in the company of other rats who are eating it.
- Although very curious animals, they are also shy, and prefer to run away instead of confronting a potential threat. They are extremely clean animals, spending several hours every day grooming themselves and their group members. They are less likely than cats or dogs to catch and transmit parasites and viruses.
- They can go longer than a camel without having a drink of water, but often consume large amounts of water when available.
- Their tails help them to balance, communicate and regulate their body temperature.
- They are used in experiments in the United States.
Signs of a Rat Infestation
Some noises are indicative of rat and mice activity, such as clawing, or gnawing on wood or plastic. These sounds can reverberate on concrete. If you have rodents in your attic, you might hear scratching, gnawing and clawing sounds as they make a nest. If you have horses, or other outdoor animals and store their food in a garage, shed or barn, you might notice that bags are being gnawed through or there are droppings around the vicinity of the food. They can damage the insulation in your home and even damage wiring in the walls. You may see rub marks (dark brown stains), places that the oil from the fur of rodents have rubbed against baseboard or points of entry. If you see droppings or hear chewing or scurrying, chances are you have an infestation of these rodents.
Things to Consider Before You Control or Eliminate Rodents in Richmond and Charlottesville Virginia:
- What type of rodents do you need controlled?
- Other Rodents
- Don’t Know
- What is your specific rodent control problem?
- Exterior damage
- Excessive noise
- Rodent waste
- Dangerous rodents
- Health concerns
- Gnawing electrical wiring
- Damaged ductwork
Found a rat in your toilet? Rats in toilets are not as uncommon as you might think, particularly in Richmond & Charlottesville VA. Read this article, RAT IN MY TOILET.
Our company can provide these rat control services, mouse removal services and more. We are proud to provide convenient, comprehensive pest management and rodent control programs in the Richmond, Henrico, Glen Allen, Midlothian & Charlottesville VA areas. If you’re looking for professional pest control in the Central Virginia area, look no further than us for effective extermination treatments, exceptional service and proven results. Let our Rat Removal Technicians get rid of your rat or mouse problem. We also provide nuisance wildlife removal services.
Virginia Professional Wildlife Removal Services is a full-service animal wildlife trapping, animal removal, animal capture, pest control, animal control, and wildlife management company serving counties, cities, towns and communities throughout Virginia. We provide residential, commercial, and industrial animal removal, animal control, animal trapping, animal capture, pest control and wildlife management services in Albemarle County, Amelia County, Ashland, Barboursville, Bon Air, Boyd Tavern, Brandermill, Bumpass, Central VA, Charlottesville, Chester, Chesterfield County (including Bellwood, Belmont, Bensley, Bermuda Hundred, Hampton Park, Moseley, Bon Air, Brandermill, Chester, Cuckoo, CVille, North Courthouse, Doswell, Dumbarton, Enon, Ettrick, Genito, Glenora, Gordon, Gordonsville, Harrogate, Hening, Jefferson Davis, Manchester, Motoaca, Meadowbrook, Midlothian, Reams, Robious, Rockwood, Salisbury, South Rockwood, Spring Run, Winterpock and Woodlake), Earlysville, Ferncliff, Fluvanna County, Glen Allen, Goochland County, Gordonsville, Gum Spring, Hadensville, Hanover County, Henrico County (including Chamberlain, Dumbarton, East Highland Park, Glen Allen, Highland Springs, Innsbrook, Lakeside, Laurel, Lewiston, Montrose, Sandston, Short Pump, Tuckahoe, Wyndham, Fair Oaks and Varina), Keswick, Lake Anna, Lake Monticello, Louisa County, Maidens, Manakin, Manakin-Sabot, Mechanicsville, Midlothian, Mineral, Oilville, Orange County, Palmyra, Powhatan County, Richmond, Richmond County, Rockville, RVA, Sandy Hook, Shannon Hill, Short Pump, Troy, Woodlake, Wyndham, and the surrounding areas of Virginia.
Contact Us at (804) 729-0046 or toll-free at (888) 824-7383 for Virginia animal trapping, animal control, wildlife removal, pest control, animal capture, animal exclusion or wildlife management in VA. We are the local area experts for rat control, removal, capture, trapping, management, poop clean-ups, extermination and rat exclusion techniques and services in the Richmond VA, Charlottesville VA and Central Virginia areas.