How To Get Rid Of Squirrels In Your Attic
Need to know how to get rid of squirrels? The days and nights are becoming cooler as Fall and Winter approaches. To many critters, this is a signal to start identifying their Winter nesting spots which is often inside the comfort of your home. Animals like squirrels and raccoons love the privacy and warmth that a home’s attic provides. But getting rid of wildlife that has set up residence inside your home can be more challenging than you imagine. Hiring a licensed wildlife removal company that knows how to get rid of squirrels in your attic is your best bet.
How Do Squirrels Get Inside My Home?
There are many ways that wildlife can get inside your home. They including:
- Chewing holes in siding, soffits, fascia, vents and roofs.
- Exploiting damaged or weakened areas such as rotten wood, missing siding, missing foundation vents, or naturally occurring gaps and openings.
- Pet doors on homes are easy entry points for almost all species of wildlife.
- Having uncapped chimney flues.
- Leaving crawlspace doors open or having no door at your crawl space access point.
- Leaving doors and windows open.
How Do I Know If I Have Squirrels In My Attic?
There are several ways to know if you may have squirrels in the attic of your home. They include:
- You actually see the squirrel. Well duh you say.
- You see a squirrel entering or exiting your home.
- The insulation in the attic has been damaged. Squirrels will often strip the insulation from the paper backing material.
- Insulation has a feathered appearance where squirrels have been going up and down the walls.
- Chewed electrical wiring and/or chewed wood in your attic.
- Scurrying, running, digging or scratching sounds in the attic.
- Circular shaped damaged areas that are about the size of golf balls showing up on the ceiling. This is more common during the squirrel birthing season and is caused from squirrels digging in the insulation to make a nesting or bedding area.
- Raisin size droppings scattered throughout the attic.
- Leaves, twins, and other foreign materials brought into the attic to create bedding and nesting areas.
- Damaged areas on the exterior of your home that are about the size of a baseball.
- Vocal sounds from squirrels in the attic. Click to hear the crying sound a baby squirrel makes.
How Do I Get Rid Of Squirrels In My Attic
The best way to get rid of squirrels in the attic or other places in your home is by trapping them. There is a multitude of different type of squirrel traps on the market including humane live catch cage traps to lethal body grip traps. Most people use nuts or peanut butter for squirrel bait, but we use a good commercial bait specifically made to catch squirrels. We DO NOT recommend the use of one-way doors to get rid of squirrels. In most cases squirrels removed from your home using one-way doors will often cause additional damage by chewing back in. Not to mention that during the squirrel birthing season you may end up leaving orphaned baby squirrels behind in your attic or walls to die a slow torturous death.
Another question that arises when attempting to catch squirrels yourself is what do I do with them once they have been caught. It is against the law in Virginia to transport and possess wildlife without a license, and most animals cannot legally be relocated (they’re are some exceptions for squirrels; however, studies have shown that trans-located animals rarely survive).
If you use lethal traps to remove squirrels then there is the issue of legally disposing of the carcasses.
I’m not real keen on do-it-yourself (DIY) types doing their own animal removal or pest control services. Most lack the knowledge and skills necessary to do the job correctly. Too many things can go wrong when you are dealing with wild animals, not to mention being bitten or contracting a zoonotic disease. Do squirrels carry zoonotic diseases you ask. They sure do. That’s why it is always best to hire a local animal removal company that knows how to get rid of squirrels in your attic.
Rodent Diseases That Are Transferable To Humans
Some of the diseases directly transmitted by rodents to humans include:
- Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
- Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
- Lassa Fever
- Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
- Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
- Rat-Bite Fever
- South American Arenavirus
Is There A Local Animal Removal Company Near Me That Removes Squirrels?
You’re in luck. We are a locally owned and operated animal removal and pest control company serving the Richmond and Charlottesville areas of Central Virginia. Our wildlife removal technicians are experts at safely and humanely getting rid of squirrels or other nuisance pests including bats, birds, flying squirrels, foxes, groundhogs, mice, opossums, raccoons, rats, skunks, snakes, voles and other critters that are damaging your home and property. Click here for additional information on squirrels and their removal.